Monday 9 April 2012

My Best Friend's Girl by Dorothy Koomson



Kamryn and Adele were best friends and only one thing could tear them apart: a man. That man was Nate, Kamryn's fiance, the only man Kamryn had opened herself up to. But eight weeks before the wedding, Kamryn is devastated to learn Nate and Adele had a one-night stand. A one night stand that resulted in Adele's daughter, Tegan.

Kamryn called off the wedding and severed all contact with both Nate and Adele, moving from London to Leeds to start again. Two years later she receives a note from Adele. She is dying and wants Kamryn to adopt the child fathered by her ex fiance.

My Best Friend's Girl is a moving story of how both Kamryn and Tegan cope with the loss of Adele and adapt to becoming a family unit.

This is the third Dorothy Koomson book I have read after The Woman He Loved Before and The Ice Cream Girls, both of which I loved. My Best Friend's Girl felt different to these books, which shared a similiar theme but it was just as beautifully written. It was heartbreaking at times and, as a mum, I found some parts hard going but it didn't hinder the story at all. In fact, to me it proved how well written it was.

I did feel a little annoyed with Kamryn at times and wanted to give her a good shake and tell her which man I thought she should be with but she was still grieving, both for her friend and the breakdown of her relationship with Nate, which she had pushed aside for years so it was understandable that she was so confused.

2 comments:

  1. I find it really, really hard to read books that have a dying character in. I am a total wuss when it comes to that kind of thing lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not one for crying but I've read three Dorothy Koomson books and they've all made me blubber. This was the worst. Not only did a character die, she left her young daughter behind and that really tugged on the old (rusty) heart strings.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I appreciate them all. Apart from spam, obviously.